Just a friendly reminder that we're still looking for submissions for our upcoming anthology, Upstaged! Queer women in performing arts. (Other submissions are currently closed and will reopen July 1.)
This is a theme close to my heart. I've been in performing arts for over 30 years myself, and it's how I met my spouse. We're now parenting two children who are both active in theater, music, and dance.
I love reading about queer men in the arts, and I've even written about them. But sometimes I think about all the fabulous stories waiting to be told about women. I want to read about everything from orchestral conductors to slam poets to opera singers.
This anthology is just the place for anyone who feels the same. Send me a story about drag kings entertaining the patrons of a space ship's cantina. Or maybe you've got one about a siren who would rather belt out show tunes to her lady love than lure sailors to their death. Maybe your 19th century ballerinas have escaped together after a lamp caused a costume fire. How about an extra on a movie set meets a fangirl of the big star?
The world's a stage, and your characters are the players. I can't wait to see what places you take me to in your stories.
Deadline: April 1, 2018
Release date: July 15, 2018
- be between 3 and 15k words
- have a main character clearly identifying as a woman and part of the LGBTQIA+ community
- fit the theme of performing arts
- include a relationship (romance, friendship, family)
- be a unique, exclusive submission (i.e., no simultaneous submissions or reprints)
- have a happily ever after or happily for now ending